Beer-Braised Spicy Beef Tacos (6 Servings)
- 1 boneless beef chuck or rump roast (2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 2 medium chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers, divided
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas (6-inch diameter), warmed
- 2 cups coleslaw
- Chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled queso or sour cream, fresh lime juice or lime wedges (optional)
Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Add beer, peppers and 2 tablespoons adobo sauce to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
Meanwhile, combine coleslaw and remaining 1 teaspoon adobo sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Remove pot roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce to medium and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1-1/2 cups. Meanwhile, trim and discard excess fat from cooked pot roast. Shred pot roast with 2 forks. Return beef to reserved liquid; cook over medium heat until heated through.
Serve beef in tortillas; top with coleslaw mixture and toppings, as desired.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline.