Cowboy Beef Stew (6-8 Servings)
- 2 lb beef for stew, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 pkg (12 to 14 oz) dried bean soup mix with seasoning packet (not quick cooking)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can peas or 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 oz) beef broth
- 3 cups diced potatoes, optional
1. Soak beans according to package directions. Reserve seasoning.
2. Coat beef with reserved seasoning. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef in batches. Pour off drippings.
3. Drain beans; discard water. Combine beef, beans, tomatoes, peas, green bell pepper, onion and broth in pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1hour and 15 minutes or until beef is fork-tender.
4. Add potatoes; simmer, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.