Fiesta Burgers Con Queso (4 Servings)
Total Recipe Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeņo pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Chihuahua cheese, divided
- 4 small tortillas, warmed or hamburger buns, split, toasted
- Thinly sliced lettuce, chopped tomato, avocado slices, salsa, sour cream, guacamole (optional)
Combine ground beef, onion, jalapeņo, cilantro and 1/4 cup cheese in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1⁄2-inch thick patties.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place patties in skillet; cook 10 to 12 minutes turning occasionally, until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. About 3 minutes before burgers are done, top evenly with remaining 1⁄4 cup cheese.
Place burgers in tortillas or buns; season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Top with desired toppings.
Cook's Tip: To grill, place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes), until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.