Simple Savory Beef Pot Roast (6 Servings)
Total Recipe Time: 2-3⁄4 to 3 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1⁄2 pounds) or rump
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Burgundy or dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups frozen vegetable blend (any variety)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Prepared mashed potatoes (optional)
- Additional fresh thyme (optional)
Spray stockpot with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Place beef pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper.
Add wine and garlic to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1⁄4 to 2-1⁄2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
Remove pot roast; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes. Add frozen vegetables to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is reduced slightly. Stir in 1 tablespoon thyme. Season with salt, as desired.
Carve pot roast into thin slices; serve with vegetable mixture and mashed potatoes, if desired. Garnish with additional thyme, if desired.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.