Wild Mushroom Beef Stew (6 Servings, about 1-1⁄2 cups each)
Total preparation and cooking time on high setting: 6-1⁄2 hours
Total preparation and cooking time on low setting: 9-1⁄2 hours
- 2 lbs stew/cubed beef cut into 1” thick pieces
- 1⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup ready to serve beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb red skinned potatoes – cut into 1.5 inc dia
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, such as shitake, cremini and oyster, cut into quarters
- 1 cup baby carrots
- Fresh Parsley, optional
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and thyme in small bowl. Place beef in 4-1⁄2 to 5-1⁄2-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with flour mixture; toss to coat.
- Combine broth, tomato paste, wine and garlic in small bowl; mix well. Add to beef. Add potatoes, mushrooms and carrots; mix well.
- Cover and cook on Low 5 to 6 hours, or until beef and vegetables are tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Stir well before serving.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.